I have children and all of my assets are in my spouse's name as well as mine. Should I still work with an estate planning attorney in Fort Myers to draw up a will?

Yes, you should work with an estate planning attorney in Fort Myers to draw up a Florida will if you have children and your assets are in your name and your spouse's name. An attorney can help you take the necessary steps to protect your children, which is one of the primary reasons to create a will.

Since you lack assets that are held in your name only, you probably think there's no need for a will to transfer ownership to your children. However, a Florida will can still be a critical tool for your estate planning if your children are minors.

Why It's Still Important that You Have a Florida Will

When you have a properly drafted will, you have the opportunity to name a guardian for your minor children who may survive your spouse and yourself

If you miss out on this opportunity, it will be up to a judge to appoint a guardian upon your demise.  Keep in mind that a stranger who doesn't know your family's needs could be tasked with appointing someone to take on such an important role.

You can void this by consulting with an estate planning attorney in Fort Myers. An attorney can help you prepare a will that will carry out your wishes and keep your children's best interests in mind.

If you try to prepare a will on your own, you may run into some difficulties, especially since you are also trying to plan for your children. You'll have better success when you seek help from a proven estate planning attorney.

Help from an Estate Planning Attorney in Fort Myers is a Phone Call Away

Fort Myers estate planning attorney Matthew A. Linde understands firsthand the importance of careful estate planning and the complexities of financial legal matters, such as probate, tax litigation and guardianship. For help with your estate planning concerns, like advance directives, contact our Fort Myers office to schedule a one-on-one meeting with a professional who can answer your questions - 239-939-7100 or 844-357-0572.
Matthew A. Linde
Connect with me