In regards to a Florida probate case, who can be a personal representative?

There are several entities and individuals who could be named a personal representative in a Florida probate case. If you have been named a representative or if you need help determining who your personal representative should be, you should meet with a probate lawyer in Fort Myers.

Naming a personal representative is not something that should be taken lightly. You want a person or entity you can trust to handle your affairs appropriately. On the other hand, if you have been named a representative, you will need to focus on administering the estate according to Florida law.

Who can be a personal representative?

A personal representative in a Florida probate case could be designated to any of the following: 
  • an individual, trust company or bank, but certain restrictions will apply;
  • an individual who resides in Florida or is a close relative, such as a spouse, parent, sibling or child; or
  • a trust company that is incorporated under Florida laws, or a savings
    and loan that is qualified and authorized to carry out fiduciary powers in the state. 

The personal representative will be tasked with many responsibilities upon the decedent's death, and therefore should speak with a lawyer who is familiar with these types of legal matters.

A probate lawyer can discuss any concerns you may have, such as liability issues, which could arise in just about any probate case. You will need an attorney who has vast experience handling probate and estate planning in the state of Florida. 

Help from a Probate Lawyer in Fort Myers is Just a Phone Call Away

Fort Myers estate planning attorney Matthew A. Linde understands firsthand the importance of careful estate planning and the complexities of financial legal matters, such as probate, tax litigation and guardianship. For help with your probate concerns, contact our Fort Myers office to schedule a one-on-one meeting with a professional who can answer your questions – 1-239-939-7100 or 1-844-357-0572.

Matthew A. Linde
Connect with me