Since legal issues can crop up in just about any probate case, the personal representative should have legal counsel for liability issues and guidance. For example, if the personal representative mismanages the probate estate, he or she could be held liable for any harm the beneficiaries may suffer.
Additional Duties of a Personal Representative for Probate in Florida
Other professionals that may be necessary to help with probate in Florida include appraisers, investment advisers, and certified public accountants. These professionals can also assist with:
- paying the expenses stemming from the administration of the probate estate;
- paying statutory sums to the deceased's spouse or other family members;
- distributing probate assets to all beneficiaries; and
- closing the probate estate.
If you have any concerns about fees for services, understand that all professionals involved are entitled to reasonable compensation according to law. Compensation for your personal representative will typically be determined in 1 of 5 ways:
- as written in your will;
- as written in a contract between the deceased and personal representative;
- as agreed upon by the personal representative and those who will bear the impact of the compensation;
- an amount presumed reasonable according to Florida law, as long as beneficiaries do not object; or
- an amount determined by a judge.
For help with your Florida estate planning, it is best that you consult with an estate attorney in Fort Myers while you are of sound body and mind. By taking steps now to prepare a solid estate plan, you'll be able to help your beneficiaries avoid any potential confusion and chaos upon your death.
Help from an Estate Attorney in Fort Myers is Just a Phone Call Away
Fort Myers estate attorney Matthew A. Linde understands firsthand the importance of careful estate planning and the complexities of financial legal matters, such as probate, tax litigation and guardianship. For help with your probate concerns in Florida, contact our Fort Myers office to schedule a one-on-one meeting with a professional who can answer your questions – 239-939-7100 or 844-764-5492.